Deep-sea mining refers to the extraction of minerals from extreme ocean depths. Sites of commercial interest are often home to extensive hydrothermal vent systems or large polymetallic nodules on the ocean floor, from which the minerals could be extracted.
The NOC is working with the deep-sea mining industry by:
- Supporting the sustainable use of natural resources from the sea
- Understanding mineral deposit formation processes
- Developing new exploration techniques and strategies to identify and characterise ocean resources
- Providing deep water environmental impact assessment and monitoring strategies
- Interfacing between legal and technical aspects of marine policy making and implementation.